Smoothies, take a hike. Hipsters from east to west are raving about bubble – or boba – tea.
You can’t get the real deal in TC quite yet. (We’ve tried.) Fortunately, the Manila Asian Market on 14th Street (across from 7-11) has the goods you need for a perfect bubble tea: giant tapioca pearls, or boba.
Here’s a yummy version to try at home.
Chai Coconut Bubble Tea for Two
• ½ cup dried boba (tapioca pearls)
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 2-4 chai tea bags (depending on how strong you like your tea)
• 1 cup sweetened coconut milk (try vanilla flavored)
• Extra large straws for sucking up “bubbles.”
• Bring one cup of water to a boil. Add tea bags and cover for 8-10 minutes. Remove tea bags and chill.
• Follow package directions for cooking boba.
• Strain boba from water; transfer to bowl.
• Mix honey and coconut; add more honey to taste if needed.
• Assembly: Pour the tea into a tall glass, add tapioca, pour honey/coconut milk, and stir everything together with extra large straw.